Tuesday, December 29, 2009

All Natural Fruit Jellies



I picked these up at Trader Joe's yesterday with my mom. They are jelly candies made with all natural colors and flavors. The package says these are a product of Greece.

Ingredients are as follows: beet sugar, corn syrup, water, pectin, citric acid, natural flavors (orange, lemon, grape, raspberry, blueberry, mandarin), sodium citrate, vegetable colors (carotene, curcumin, anthocyanin), ascorbic acid (vitamin c), cornstarch.




Now, with six flavors you can imagine my surprise when I found only four colors (yellow, orange, pink, and red). Of course that is because of the natural coloring and I'm not complaining.

Eventually I realized that there really were six different colors, with slight variations of the orange and pink.

These are like gumdrops but softer. The sugar on the outside is sweet and adds a texture that benefits the overall feeling of the candy. The jelly itself is sweet and juicy.


darker pink: I have no idea what this flavor is. Its mostly just sweet, no exciting tanginess but enjoyable to say the least.


lighter pink: Sweet with nice strong concord grape notes.


yellow: This is lemon no doubt. At first its like lemonade, very sweet like the light pink one, but eventually becomes a little bit zesty. Yum.


light orange: Citrusy and fresh. Mandarin I am guessing. Slightly tangy but not too powerful.


dark orange: This is like a glass of fresh orange juice. Refreshing.


red: Yummy but, like the light pink, indecipherable flavorwise. Obviously we have the darker pink and red narrowed down to either blueberry or raspberry. The two colors have different flavors definitely, but I can't decide which is which.


A serving size is 5 pieces, 11 servings per container, 140 calories per serving, 0 calories from fat, 10mg sodium, 36g carbohydrates, 29g sugar.


Overall I enjoy these but wish the non-citrus flavors had more of a punch. I really love that they are natural but they are confusing and I was left unfulfilled by the lack of flavor in the light pink and red. I probably won't buy these again. On a scale of 1-10, I rate these a 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment