Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reed's Ginger Candy Chews



These Reed's Ginger Candy Chews boast "all natural" and "gluten free." They can be found at wegmans though I'm not sure about the price. The packaging is a small box jam packed with nine smaller individually wrapped chews. The box says it is a product of Indonesia. Reed's is best known for their Jamaican Ginger Beer and their overall promoting of ginger. According to ReedsGingerBrew.com, ginger is used as a traditional way to improve digestion, cure motion and morning sickness, and for general health. The latest research shows ginger to be anti-cancer, used to lower cholesterol, and used as arthritis medicine.


I had no idea ginger had such medicinal properties. I was more intrigued with the uniqueness of the product. The flavor, I imagined, would be unlike anything I have previously tried.



Upon opening one of the chews, there was no scent whatsoever. I even brought it right under nose to take a whiff.. still nothing. But, they say don't judge a book by the cover, so I had high hopes. I certainly was not let down. The chew is coated in a white powder, what I assume to be sugar and starch, to prevent sticking to the package. The texture is extremely chewy, so much that I struggled to bite off a piece. Once it was in my mouth, I decided to spare my teeth and just suck on it. The flavor is deliciously spicy and sweet, just as the box had anticipated. I can't eat more than a small bite at a time because the flavor is so intensely gingery. I adore these.



I love the list of ingredients: Sugar, Ginger, Tapioca Starch. Pure simplicity.


Nutrition Facts: A serving is one chew, nine servings per container. Each chew is 25 calories, 0 calories from fat, 6g carbohydrates, 3g sugar.


These chews are a nice change of pace from my typical fruity/chocolatey (but not together usually) preferences. I love how long they last and that they are only 25 calories. I rate these a 9 out of 10 and will definitely buy them again.







No comments:

Post a Comment