Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mahalo Candy Bar


Today was a fabulous day. A: I received my report card and I am doing insanely well in all of my classes. B: I got a package from Go Max Go Foods today. C: Theater rehearsal went great (I play Marty in Grease). D: I spent the rest of the day with my mom hitting up Wegmans for dinner (best salad bar ever) and shopping til we dropped. Woah, rewind. What was B? That's right, Go Max Go sent me a package. What was in that package? Four of the best candy bars known to mankind. Why was I sent this package? Well a few days ago I sent Go Max Go Foods an email questioning the use of Palm Kernel Oil in their products rather than Cocoa Butter. I got a lengthy, informative response regarding the chemistry that goes into making these candy bars. In addition to this, the reader of my email, Susan, followed my link to this blog where she noted the poor appearance of my Twilight bar. She explained to me that the white splotches were due to changes in climate and could have happened during the shipping and handling of the product or even in my house. She then asked for my address and stated her intentions of sending me a Twilight bar in better physical condition. She of course did (very quickly might I add) along with Twilight's three best friends and a handwritten post-it note which reads "Hi Emily :) Enjoy! -Go Max Go." So, after a great day its time to review the last Go Max Go candy bar: Mahalo (veganized Almond Joy).


Well, the rice-milk chocolate is consistently yummy. The almonds have a deliciously fresh roasted taste. The coconut center is super sweet and really.. coconutty. I don't know why I'm not a huge fan of coconut, but I will say this is probably something coconut people or previous Almond Joy fans would enjoy. The texture is dense, chewy, and grainy.


Ingredients (Vegan): Dessicated coconut, Evaporated cane juice, Rice syrup, Palm kernel oil, Agave syrup, Beet sugar, Almonds (dry roasted), Cocoa powder (natural), Rice powder (rice syrup solids, rice starch, rice flour, carrageenan), Palm oil, Natural flavors, Soybean lecithin, Enzyme modified soy protein, Salt.


Nutrition: One serving is 57g or one bar. 280 calories per serving, 170 calories from fat. Total fat 19g, Saturated fat 16g, Sodium 55mg, Total carbohydrate 26g, Dietary fiber 1g, Sugars 18g, Protein 3g.



So, I am beyond impressed with this company. Personal preference steers me away from these bars but there is nothing quality-wise wrong with them. There is nothing wrong with them texture-wise or flavor-wise either (for those who enjoy coconut). I give these bars a 6 out of 10. I give Go Max Go a 36274891950 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment