Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mary Jane


Mary Janes are classic candy made by Necco. They come simply wrapped in yellow wax paper with a red stripe and a little cartoon girl (Mary Jane). They are basically a sweet molasses taffy-like candy with a peanut butter center. These are on Peta's Accidentally Vegan list.


The first bite is sweet, chewy, and slightly peanutty. I somehow managed to squeeze some of the peanut butter out and sampled it on its own. Yuck. It is kind of bland without the added sweetness of the taffy. Next I sample the taffy on its own.. and find it overly sweet. Together though, its a nice combination.


Ingredients: Corn syrup, Dry roasted peanuts, Sugar, Molasses, Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed, soybean), Soy lecithin, Salt, Mono and diglycerides, Hydrogenated vegetable oil (rapeseed, cottonseed, soybean), Glycerine, Natural flavor.


Nutrition: One serving is 5 pieces. 160 calories per serving. Total fat 4g, Saturated fat 1g, Sodium 45mg, Total carbohydrate 32g, Sugars 20g, Protein 1g.


I enjoy the taste of these but I'm not a huge fan of the ingredients list. They seem like a nice and cute candy but hydrogenated oils are kind of scary. In small amounts though I supposed it is acceptable. I like that there are no artificial colors in these. I rate them a 7 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment