Saturday, January 9, 2010

Atomic Fire Ball


Atomic Fire Balls are made by Ferrara Pan, also maker of Lemon-heads (and friends). These are basically spicy cinnamon flavored jawbreakers. By spicy I mean these are hot, almost unbearable. When we were younger, my sister could eat these no problem while I took hours to finish one. I couldn't hold one on my tongue for very long so I am curious as to how I will handle these now.


Well, for the first few seconds it is bland, but almost immediately becomes a "ball of fire." I have to move it around in my mouth a lot to avoid a burning feeling. Maybe I am just a baby but I don't think I am exaggerating the extent of the spiciness. I am determined to keep it in my mouth though. For a while I tuck it into the side of my cheek. When I move it back onto my tongue it is quite sweet. I think these have layers of spicy and then layers of sweet because after about 30 seconds it goes back to that spicy flavor. Steering away from flavor for a second, the texture is very smooth and dissolves very evenly. When the jawbreaker is maybe half of its original size, it tastes purely of sugar. I eventually crush it with my molars.


Ingredients: Sucrose, Corn starch, Artificial flavor, Gum acacia, Carnauba wax, Red 40 lake.


Nutrition: A serving is one piece. 40 calories per serving, 0 calories from fat, Total carbs 11g, Sugars 8g.


I really unexpectedly enjoyed this. It woke up my taste buds, almost made me sweat, and rewarded me with a sweet and mellow center. These are fun for kids (or any candy lover) and just one is very satisfying. I rate them an 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment