Sunday, January 31, 2010

Twilight Candy Bar


For the past week I have been out of town, in Florida actually, hence the lack of new entries. But now that I'm home, I have finally decided to review the Go Max Go Twilight candy bar. This is the vegan equivalent of a Milky Way. It is described as caramel and chocolatey nougat with a rice-milk chocolatey coating. Upon opening, there are some obvious physical abnormalities. The chocolate is speckled with a white-ish substance. I'll admit it is kind of freaky and I've never encountered an issue with these bars before. However, it was entirely sealed and therefore hardly inedible.

The caramel is soft and sweet with a sort of buttery flavor. The chocolatey nougat tastes the same as in the Buccaneer though maybe a bit less chewy. The rice-milk chocolate coating is deliciously sweet and melty and the whole combination is really terrific flavor-wise. My only issue, as with the buccaneer bar, is the lack of texture. I wish there were some sort of crunch to these like in the Jokerz.


Ingredients (Vegan): Corn syrup, Beet sugar, Evaporated cane juice, Palm kernel oil, Palm oil, Cocoa powder (natural and alkalized), Rice powder (rice syrup powder, rice starch, rice flour, carrageenan), Soy protein concentrate, Dextrose, Natural flavors, Soybean lecithin, Salt, Malt powder (extract of barley malt and corn), Enzyme modified soy protein, Carrageenan.


Nutrition: A serving is 60 grams or one bar. 250 calories per serving, 80 calories from fat. Total fat 9g, Saturated fat 5g, Sodium 85mg, Total carbohydrate 42g, Dietary fiber 1g, Sugars 29g, Protein 1g.


As I said, my only complaint is the texture thing, but then again this isn't a new candy bar, just a veganized version of something classic. So, overall I find this bar pretty delicious and totally satisfying. I am interested to see if Go Max Go comes out with any other rice-milk chocolate confections. This one is a solid 9 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment