Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Smarties


The US version of Ce De smarties differs dramatic-ally from the UK version of Nestle smarties. These are pale little tablets of dextrose (sugar) with a slightly tangy bite whereas UK smarties are candy coated chocolate pieces (very much like m&ms). The smarties website says these are made in the USA but my little roll says made in Canada. I bought these in my pick a mix from Wegmans, but usually they sell a 7oz (?) bag at any dollar or grocery store for $1.00.

These are not new to me but I felt that they deserved a place among this blog. Although they are colored differently, there are no distinct flavor differences (unless you have super taste buds maybe). These are mostly sweet, a little tangy, and a lot chalky. I enjoy them when in need of a quick and light burst of sweetness.

Ingredients: Dextrose, Citric Acid, Calcium Stearate, Artifical Flavors and Colors (Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake)

A serving size is one roll of 15 tablets. 25 calories per serving, 0 calories from fat, 6g carbohydrate, 6g sugar.

I find these are great for almost anyone. They are free of common allergens so maybe a good choice for halloween treats or party favors. A reasonable amount of sugar and no fat, enjoyable flavor, inexpensive, easy to find. I personally wouldn't choose these over something like dark chocolate but they are versatile for many occasions. My mom (a teacher) keeps these in her desk at school as a simple reward for students. I rate these a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment