Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jordan White Almonds



These candy coated almonds are a typical favor at weddings. The kind I have are generic and bought in bulk from wegmans (one of my favorite stores if you haven't noticed). They are $4.49 a pound, I got .07 pounds which turned out to be $0.31. Quite the deal I thought for a sweet treat of 7 of these babies. These are not a good candy for munchers as it is impossible to chew these unless you have sucked for quite some time. On the other hand, these may be good for those trying to cut back a bit on candy and looking for the nutritional punch of something like almonds all while enjoying something sweet. Just a thought. These are made in the USA.


When I untied the bag I got a nice whiff of artificial vanilla (vanillin) which I actually enjoy. I popped one in my mouth and just out of curiosity, tried to chomp it. No use. So after at least 5 minutes of sucking on pure sugar (with a hint of vanillin), I bit down again. This time the candy and almond crunched into a sweet vanilla/mildly nutty mixture. The almond is soft and all the crunch comes from the sugary coating.


Ingredients: Sugar, Almonds, Gum, Flour, Vanillin, Titanium dioxide, Certified color, Carnuba wax.


Since I bought these in bulk, I had no information on nutrition. I did consult caloriecount.about.com and this is what they have to say: A serving is 13 pieces. 180 calories per serving, 54 calories from fat, Total fat 6g, Saturated fat .5g, Sodium 5mg, Total carbohydrates 32g, Dietary fiber 1g, Sugars 29g, Protein 3g.


These are a pretty simple candy which come in a variety of colors (and maybe even different flavors?). I enjoyed the dissolving and crunching process and the flavor and texture definitely appeal to me. I'll probably never crave these but its nice to try new things. I rate them a 6 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment