Monday, January 11, 2010

Brach's Soda Poppers


These are small cylindrical hard candies with a chewy, liquid-like center. I got these in my never-ending pick a mix bag from Wegmans. I have never seen them sold any other place. The flavors are popular soda flavors made by Coca-Cola but the candies are Brach's (a brand of Farley and Sathers). I guess there's not much more to say about these other than I thought they looked interesting.


A&W Root Beer- This is dark brown and was broken when I unwrapped it. It has a light root beer flavored outside with a more intense center. It is sweet but with a little interesting spiciness to it. It doesn't necessarily taste like a bottle of rootbeer, but is enjoyable nonetheless.


7up- This tastes like 7up. Maybe a little tangier and definitely more lime than lemon. It is slightly green. The center is chewy and the whole candy is kind of refreshing.


Orange Crush- This tastes kind of like an orange cream soda. The color is surprisingly orange (sarcasm). The center has a bit more of a citrus tang to it but not much. Not my favorite one.


Dr. Pepper- This is dark reddish-maroon in color. I must say, it is not very close to Dr. Pepper. Much more cherry-ish than the soda tastes. Not bad.. just not Dr Pepper.


Ingredients: Corn syrup, Sugar, Citric acid, Natural and artificial flavors, Artificial colors (caramel color, red #40, red #3, blue #1, yellow #6, yellow #5)


Nutrition: One serving is 3 pieces. 70 calories per serving, 0 calories from fat, Total carbohydrate 17g, Sugars 12g.


I think these are a nice twist on traditional hard candies, especially root beer barrels. They are good, but not good enough for me to buy again. I rate these a 5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Great little reviews! I popped in at this one, but have read several. You give a lot of good info in a short, direct style and I'll be back for more.

    ReplyDelete