Saturday, January 16, 2010

Buccaneer Candy Bar


As I continue my reviews of veganized candy bars, I decided today was the day for the Buccaneer. This candy bar by Go Max Go Foods is the vegan alternative to a 3 Musketeers. It is described as chocolately nougat with a rice-milk chocolatey coating. The first difference I notice between this and the Jokerz is the shape. The Buccaneer is rounder, more log-shaped whereas the Jokerz is more of a rectangle shape.


The first bite is soft and chewy. It is very sweet with warm cocoa tones, kind of like hot cocoa. It becomes enjoyably grainy as it dissolves. I wouldn't say these are just like a 3 Musketeers because I haven't had one of those in years. I do however remember them having a lighter chocolatey center. The center in this candy bar is more chewy than fluffy. Thats definitely not a bad thing in my book.


Ingredients (Vegan): Beet sugar, Corn syrup, Evaporated cane juice, Palm kernel oil, Cocoa powder (natural and alkalized), Rice powder (rice syrup powder, rice starch, rice flour, carrageenan), Palm oil, Malt powder (extract of barley malt and corn), Enzyme modified soy protein, Salt, Natural flavors, Soybean lecithin.


Nutrition: A serving is 57g (one bar). 230 calories, 60 calories from fat, Total fat 7g, Saturated fat 6g, Sodium 75mg, Total carbohydrate 43g, Dietary fiber 1g, Sugars 33g, Protein 1g.


These have the least calories of all the bars and only 26% of the total calories are from fat (Jokerz is about 46% fat). I really enjoyed this but found it to be lacking in texture. I couldn't finish the whole bar because it was so rich. The flavor is great though. I rate this a 9 out of 10.


1 comment: